Saturday, January 17, 2009

Cafe Rio Pork Burritos or Salad

Ingredients:
about 4 lb. Pork Roast
1 ½ cans (or 2 ¼ cups if you use a bottle) Coca-cola classic (Generic varieties are not good, and diet makes it too sweet. Caffeine-free is fine, it’s what I used)
1 cup sugar
1 (7 oz.) can Chipotle Chiles in ADOBO sauce (since you use the sauce, not the
chiles, it is important that you get the chiles in adobo sauce)
1 heaping tsp. Dry Ground Mustard (I did about 1½ tsp.)
1 heaping tsp. Cumin (I did about 1½ tsp.)
1 tsp. minced garlic.

Directions:

1. Put the chiles into a bowl. Pour Coke into the can to rinse it out and pour into the bowl over chiles. This is to get all of the adobo sauce. Remove the chiles and throw away (The girl my friend got the recipe from says this: “I left the chiles in once, and it was so potent I cried when I lifted the lid of the crock pot. If you like super-spicy foods, leave one or two chiles in. If you want to clean the system, go ahead and use them all . . .” I didn’t put any in when I made it since I was nervous because it was my first time, but my friend says she usually leaves one in for a double batch . . . use your own discretion.)

2. Add sugar, dry ground mustard, cumin, and garlic. Blend well – the scoops of spices tend to clump.

3. Place pork in crock pot and pour sauce over it. Cook on low for 7-9 hours or until the pork pulls apart with a fork.


Serve:
As a burrito or salad, with lettuce, black or pinto beans, rice, pork, dressing, mozzarella or monterey jack or other cheese, and chopped cilantro and lime wedges for an extra kick.

FYI: Costco and some other grocery stores sells some un-cooked, pre-made flour tortillas. When you heat them up in a pan, it tastes like the real thing (such a difference!)


by Shelley F.

No comments: